Mount Olivet had its beginning in an old tool shack across the Appomattox River sometime in 1900 using potbelly, coal buring stoves and kerosene lamps. As years passed, old records indicate several location changes to accommodate the growth in membership. Since its start in the old tool shack, locations include High Street, on Gill street (now Farmer street), Market and Halifax Streets to its present location, 800 Augusta Avenue, a campus which spans 41 acres.
Under shepherds have included Rev. T. M. Bowman; Rev. A. B. Callis; Rev. Jones; Rev. E. E. Hicks; Rev. Dr. L. C. Johnson; Rev. C. R. Tarrance (Interim twice); Rev. Melvin D. Cutler; and presently, Rev. Wesley Keith McLaughlin, and numerous sons birthed through the ministry in this church. In March, 1997, the pastor and the church family marched to the site of the new church for a ground breaking ceremony. On, Saturday, July 18, 1998, the Mount Olivet Baptist Church family marched to its new edifice, starting at the parking lot of the Market and Halifax Streets to 800 Augusta Avenue. There were marchers, babies in strollers, limosines and even a bicycle built for two in the procession.
Worship Services began Sunday, July 19, 1998, with a Jubilee / Pre-dedication Service held Sunday, August 2, 1998. The 'Enlargement of Our Territory' brought enormous increase in attendance meriting increase in officers, staff, associates and the amenities associated. The new Mount Olivet Baptist Church sanctuary with seating capacity of 2200 seating, closed circuit televisions, large projection screens, state-of-the-art kitchen; 150 seat choir loft with rehearsal suite, classrooms, offices, a conference room and studio-ready media control booth to facilitate live worship enhancement, outreach and broadcasting.
The School of the Prophets for biblical instruction education and Olivet Christian Academy, afforded additional avenues of education and opportunities. OCA - Daycare Center, Elementry Education, Lazarus Institute of Learning, Heros, and Young Entrepenuars Club represent some of the organizations extended affiliates.